WordPress sites aren't perfect out of the box. You need to add plugins to make them faster, better designed, more secure, etc.
You don't have to put in a bunch of time researching all the plugins that are out there, though. The WPMU DEV toolkit gives you everything you need. Hey, you don't have to take our word for it – WPMU DEV plugins have been downloaded over 29 million times, and there are over 2 million active installs. Holy cow!
In this post, we'll review a few of the most popular plugins in the WPMU DEV family and show you what they have to offer.
If you want to check it out yourself, you can try WPMU DEV for free for 30 days. After that, it costs $50 per month for all of their plugins.
The Hub will keep your site stable as a table. It automatically backs up your data and updates your plugins. It will also alert you if there's ever anything wrong with your site. And if you can't figure out how to fix what's wrong, you can give a developer temporary access to your site so that they can take a look.
Defender is great for keeping your site safe:
- Brute Force Lockout prevents excessive login attempts and fends off attackers trying to identify your password.
- File Change Detection checks your core files to see if the code has been changed.
- 404 Lockout prevents bots from analyzing potential vulnerabilities of your website.
- Blacklist Monitoring warns you if your site has been flagged as unsafe.
- Security Key Updater changes security keys at set schedules, adding another layer of protection.
- Audit Logs keeps a detailed record of every modification that has been made on your site.
WP Smush Pro
Smush is a simple tool, but it has a huge impact on the performance of your site. It reduces the file size of the images on your site while retaining their quality, so you can improve speed without sacrificing user experience.
Pairing WP Smush Pro with Hummingbird allows you to achieve blazing fast speeds. Hummingbird shrinks your CSS and gets rid of render-blocking resources to improve performance.
Should disaster ever strike, Snapshot Pro will help you recover whatever's lost. Its features include:
- Automated scheduled backups.
- Restore points – if you don't approve of a change, you can always go back to the older version.
- Integration with major cloud servers such as Dropbox, Amazon S3, and Google Drive.
- Choose whether you want to back up your whole site or specific files.
Smart Crawl SEO
Smart Crawl SEO lets you climb up the search rankings with ease:
- SEO Checkup schedules scans, analyzes the results, and prepares regular reports on SEO performance.
- Link social media accounts to expand your audience.
- Import/export feature allows you to move your Smart Crawl settings to another site and get it set up quickly.
The Final Word
Those are just a few of the plugins that WPMU DEV has to offer. If your site's near-complete and only needs a couple tweaks, then the $50/month price tag might not be worth it. But if you're starting from scratch (or close to it), this is great value.